I’ve seen countless kids in my office with a chief complaint of chronic constipation, many of whom have seen conventional pediatricians and walked away with a prescription for Miralax. I’m not blaming them – Miralax works extremely quickly and is an easy recommendation to make (we know it will work!) – but it also fails to truly address the underlying cause of why a child is constipated.
One of the main principles of naturopathic medicine is called “Tolle Causem” or Treat the Cause. For kids to have permanent change in their bowel habits we first need to find out why they were constipated in the first place. Read on!
This e-book includes:
- A resource guide and checklist for treatment.
- A guide to “What is Normal?”
- Two separate methods and printables for increasing fiber intake and how to guarantee your child is eating enough fiber.
- How much water your child needs to reduce constipation.
- Options for elimination diets and which food is the number 1 cause of constipation.
- What is peristalsis? How does this affect constipation? Tricks to improve constipation, including
- How to teach bowel retraining and why this is so important. This step includes tricks like:
- Abdominal massage
- Movement and positioning to improve bowel habits
- Prune juice – why does it work? Who should avoid prune juice?
- Laxative use and safety
- Use of suppositories and enemas
- When to immediately see a doctor, and when constipation is dangerous or a sign of something more serious.